Diet & Nutrition
Facts about calcium
Don't wait till it's too late to regret
As the population ages, there is an increasing occurrence of osteoporosis in Hong Kong. Many people think that only middle-aged and older adults need high calcium intake. In fact, adequate calcium intake is also important during childhood and adolescence to strengthen bones and reduce the risk of osteoporosis in the future.
There are several types of mineral in human body in which calcium is of the highest content. 99% of calcium is stored in bones and teeth, while the remaining 1% is stored in blood to help blood coagulation and muscle
When the calcium level in blood is low, calcium is released from bones to maintain blood calcium level. If calcium is continually released, there will be an excessive loss of calcium and a decrease in bone density, making the bones become weak and fragile. Therefore, calcium intake is vital to prevent osteoporosis.
Where can we obtain calcium?
- Milk and dairy products like cheese and yoghurt are rich in calcium.
- The calcium content of whole milk is similar to that of skimmed milk, but the fat content of whole milk is relatively higher. It is suggested that those who want to keep fit should choose low-fat or skimmed milk.
Calcium content of 1 cup (240ml) of whole milk and skimmed milk.
|240ml milk||Calcium (mg)|
- Calcium content of green leafy vegetables, fish with bones, firm tofu, calcium-fortified soy milk and nuts is high too.
Foods rich in calcium
|Skimmed milk||1 glass (240ml)||299|
|Low-fat yoghurt||1 glass (245g)||350|
|Low-fat cheese (Cheddar)||1 slice (28g)||118|
|Bok choy (cooked)||1 bowl (170g)||158|
|Broccoli (cooked)||1 bowl (156g)||62|
|Chinese kale (cooked)||1 bowl (88g)||88|
|Canned sardines in tomato sauce (with bones)||100g||240|
|Canned salmon (with bones)||100g||249|
|Soya bean (cooked)||1 bowl (172g)||175|
|Black-eye bean (cooked)||1 bowl (165g)||211|
|Soy milk||1 cup (240ml)||61|
|Cashew nut (roasted)||100g||45|
Remarks: 1 bowl (1 medium-sized bowl) = 250-300ml
Reference: Centre for Food Safety, Nutrient Information Inquiry System
Daily calcium requirement
The suggested daily calcium requirement is as follows:
|Age||Daily requirement (mg)|
Reference: The Chinese Dietary Reference intakes (2013)
Tips for building strong bones
In order to strengthen the bones, a healthy lifestyle should be adopted since childhood.
1. Eat a balanced diet with sufficient calcium and vitamin D intake
|-||Vitamin D helps calcium absorption. Vitamin D-rich food includes egg yolk, salmon and vitamin D-fortified milk.|
2. Reduce calcium loss
|-||Avoid excessive salt (sodium) intake.|
|-||Avoid excessive meat intake.|
|-||Avoid excessive caffeinated drinks (e.g. coffee, tea, soft drinks and energy drinks, etc.).|
3. Do regular exercise
|-||Do more weight-bearing exercise (e.g. walking, jogging, stair climbing, tennis and dancing, etc.).|
|-||Skin produces vitamin D which helps calcium absorption when doing exercise under sunlight.|
4. Avoid smoking and alcohol consumption
Concepts about calcium
|Q:||I do not like dairy products. Can I take calcium supplement as an alternatives?|
|A:||Both dairy products and calcium supplements provide calcium. However, dairy products contain vitamin D, proteins, carbohydrates and other minerals in addition to calcium. According to “The Chinese Dietary Reference intakes”, daily calcium intake for those who aged 7-18 should not exceed 2000mg per day. Excessive calcium intake may lead to the formation of kidney stones and hinder iron and zinc absorption. In special circumstances, calcium supplements can be taken if they are advised by a doctor.|
|Q:||Do children need to prevent osteoporosis?|
|A:||People of all ages need to prevent themselves from developing osteoporosis. Bone development occurs during childhood and adolescence. The higher the density of the bones formed, the lower the risk of developing osteoporosis.|
Once osteoporosis is diagnosed, is calcium absorption no more important?
|A:||No matter you have osteoporosis or not, calcium absorption is important because it prevents osteoporosis flare-up and bone fracture.|
Can pork bones soup and fish soup supplement calcium?
Calcium in pork bones and fish bones cannot dissolve in water easily. Therefore, the calcium content of pork bone soup and fish soup are actually very low.
|Q:||Can adequate daily calcium intake and regular exercise completely prevent us from bone fracture?|
|A:||Many complications of osteoporosis like bone fractures are related to accidents and injuries. Therefore, home safety and accident prevention are also important to avoid falls and slips.|
|Q:||Does osteoporosis occur only in the elderly?|
|A:||Osteoporosis is not a condition that occurs only in the elderly. Actually, both male and female adults also have the risk of developing osteoporosis.|
Having adequate calcium intake since childhood can help build healthy bones and prevent osteoporosis effectively.
(Revised in October 2018)